Safety & Wildlife
Safety Management System (SMS)
SMS provides a management system for integrating safety activities into normal day-to-day business practices. It is a formal, top down, systematic approach to identify hazards and control risks.
SMS includes four components – Safety Policy, Safety Risk Management, Safety Assurance, and Safety Promotion. SMS helps enhance safety by facilitating the development of an organization-wide safety policy and implementing methods to proactively identify and mitigate hazards.
- One of the key features of an effective SMS is to hold each person, regardless of his or her position, responsible for safety performance.
- In the San Antonio Airport System (SAAS), the Aviation Director is the highest ranking official, and therefore is the Accountable Executive.
- The Aviation Director ultimately assumes full responsibility for the SAAS SMS; however he can delegate the day-to-day operational responsibilities of the SMS to the Assistant Aviation Director.
Safety Policy identifies SAAS’s commitment to aviation safety.
- The San Antonio Aviation Department commits to its employees and airport users to provide a safe environment, while supporting a safety program intended to reduce incidents to the lowest possible level.
- The Aviation Department is committed to providing and maintaining an environment conducive to the safety and health of its employees, users and the public.
- The Aviation Department has primary responsibility for establishing a Safety management System; however, safety is a shared responsibility of all employees in the workplace.
- It is everyone’s responsibility to support and actively participate in the Safety Management System and incident prevention programs.
Safety Objectives identify SAAS’s commitment to aviation safety.
- To motivate safe actions through the establishment of a “Just Cause”.
- To recognize and report unsafe practices.
- To train all employees about the SMS Plan and procedures.
- To share with tenants the SMS Plan and work cooperatively with their SMS Plans.
- To ensure that safe work practices will take precedence over expediency.
- To prevent and protect the health and safety of employees, airport users, and the public by reducing losses arising from accidents.
- To monitor and communicate the effectiveness of the SMS Plan to employees, tenants, and the public.
Airport Safety Division Organization